1. I did try the bacon-flavored chips, and they weren’t really my thing. Not terrible, but definitely not on my top ten list. I have, however, discovered a non-dairy potato chip besides bacon, crab and caviar– the green onion potato chip. If onions and potatoes aren’t a match made in heaven I don’t know what is.
2. I have actually been trying to get a photo that truly captures how purple the soup I’ve been making is. The sad fact is, no photo can truly capture it because of lighting, etc., but it’s really purple. My roommate was explaining to me about a hierarchy in the cabbage family from brussel sprouts to plain green cabbage and said red cabbage was a higher grade. It just so happened that the store had a half-head available in red cabbage and not in green cabbage… so I bought that and didn’t even think about the possible ramifications. I should be clear- purple soup is totally fine… it was adding bits of chicken in that afterwards turned purple that got a little weird… but it was still tasty.
3. I know I shouldn’t get it, and luckily I’m practical or I would just go and buy it, but another teacher bought this incredible kitchen gadget that I want– one motor can power a whisk-mixer, a blender, and a food-processor sort of thing. I think this is the one he got. What is it with me and kitchen gadgets and office supplies?
4. This happened a while ago but it was funny so I have to share. Twice a week I work at this one school, and on the way there I always pass something that reads KURI-GRILL (transliterated). I had been forgetting lunch (a bad idea- stomach growls in front of tweens is not so smart) so I thought I’d stop there. It must be some cool random Indian place- “kuri” meaning “curry.” For 190 rubles, I figured it was a decent price for something different, so I ordered one kuri-grill and some lavash. What I got was this:
Yes, that’s a whole rotisserie chicken covered in lavash. Once he handed it to me it all made sense… but of course I didn’t have time to actually eat it then. So I got to the school and stuffed a small chicken in my backpack! It smelled so good I was worried it would give itself away. My roommie explained to me that night- curry is transliterated as “kari” in Russian– “kuri” is just a shortened form of “kuritsa”–chicken.
The thing is, perhaps if I’d just thought about why there were huge numbers of chickens on rotisserie and no smell of curry, I might’ve figured that out, lol.
5. It’s been an interesting experience being a teacher, especially with some very demanding students (and parents). I usually take to things pretty quickly, but I have definitely had some challenges– and I think it’s probably good for the soul to not be instantly wonderful; one more onion-layer of ego pulled away from the real stuff.
6. This week I had one pretty crappy day and then the next day was actually quite nice (and will stay that way as long as the grandma I heard say, “Bozhe moi!” (“My God!”) when she saw I’d handed out candy to the kids post-test and for Halloween doesn’t complain– luckily the child did quickly respond- “Amerikanskaya traditsia”- “American tradition,” – so I’m hoping that will be fine). Bribery seems like a good thing for teaching…
7. Got another cold! I seem to bounce between not really minding/noticing and feeling pretty miserable, but lucky for me the able-to-ignore stages are larger (the me=blech stages revolve around certain necessities and nasty coughing spells), and I have a pretty good attitude about it- being around other people is a lot of good. I haven’t gotten sick repeatedly like this since I was a kid I think. I’m thinking… taking the metro every day and working with kids every day and walking home in cold nasty spitting rain nearly every night must be the culprit. I have, however, found the perfect medicines: tea with honey, grandma’s egg drop-esque soup, random Russian medications, and….
I’ve also figured out the Russian word for flu- “grip” (pronounced “greep(b)”)…. It sounds like it, doesn’t it?
Well random assortment… and I think it’s time for a brief nap before planning for my lesson tonight. Next week there’s a holiday and a few of my classes are cancelled… here’s hoping I don’t get too many sub classes and can just enjoy the time off.